Enamored with the game of hockey, the Lord Stanley of Preston presented the Montreal Hockey Club with a silver punch bowl in 1893, with the purpose of annually awarding the winner of a hockey match this Cup. The winners could keep The Cup for one year, returning it to the proposed annual event to present to the next winning team. Lord Stanley’s Cup was inscribed Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup on one side, and From Stanley of Preston on the other.
That year, each of the seven players of the Montreal AAA’s received a ring inscribed with MHC and 2 crossed hockey sticks. One of these original rings can be found exhibited in the Stanley Cup Championship Ring Display at Toronto’s Hockey Hall of Fame.
Some players remember having to originally order their own rings. Today, the winning team members, including coaching staff, are presented with rings personalized with their names and numbers, that they have taken part in designing.